Grey haired landlord unlocking black door for new tenant


Landlord responsibility

As a landlord, you have certain responsibilities and legal obligations that you should provide to your tenants.

These include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Maintenance
    As a landlord, you are responsible for maintaining fixtures and fittings, and carrying out any repair work promptly when required to do so.
  • Health and safety
    Landlords must ensure that their property is compliant with all health and safety regulations including facilities such as water, gas and electricity. You local council will have a Housing Health and Safety Ratings System (HHSRS) which is used to ensure properties are safe for tenants.
  • Quiet environment
    Landlords must respect a tenant’s right to privacy and to live without unwarranted disturbance.
  • Procedures
    When undertaking activities, such as rental collection and the eviction of tenants, landlords must carry out the correct procedure, as stated within the tenancy agreement and within the law.
  • Provide details
    It is your responsibility to provide tenants with your contact details and those of the letting agent, if applicable.
  • Protecting deposits
    If a deposit is required for a tenancy, landlords and letting agents must place deposits within a Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS). This ensures the safety of tenant deposits and can help prevent potential disputes.
  • Energy performance certificates
    All rental accommodation requires an Energy Performance Certificate. The certificate explains how to make energy savings to reduce costs, and must be provided with the property.
  • HMOs
    If you are renting a property to three or more tenants, from one or more different households, who are sharing living facilities i.e (student housing), you are required to hold a licence to let a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). Contact your local council for their HMO requirements and to apply for a licence.

The information contained within this article is specific to landlords in England. 
For Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland contact your local authority for further information.