Find your local agency office
Speak to your local agency office, who are on hand to offer a face-to-face discussion about how you can cover your farming activities under your Home Insurance policy.
Our specialist Smallholder Insurance aims to help cover the associated risks of your activity and protect any livestock, crops, property, people and any income generated. If you insure your home contents with us, it can be added simply to your Home Insurance policy.
Smallholder Insurance can be taken out if the turnover of the smallholding is up to £10,000, with land no more than 25 acres, and if you are not reliant on the income from the smallholding.
- Smallholder outbuildings – any permanent structure: up to £10,000 as standard where home buildings cover has been taken.
- Smallholder contents: selectable limits from £5,000 up to £20,000.
- Produce and deadstock: growing crops and consumable stores with selectable limits from £2,500 up to £10,000.
- Temporary harvest storage or livestock care if your smallholder outbuildings are damaged: up to £1,000.
- Accidental damage - extended for smallholder contents if your home contents insurance covers this.
- Legal liability for injuries to others or damage to their property from your smallholder activities - Home and Lifestyle: cover limits start from £2.5 million. NFU Mutual Bespoke Home Insurance: up to £10 million.
- Business legal costs - Home and Lifestyle: up to £50,000. NFU Mutual Bespoke Home Insurance: up to £100,000.
- Optional - Livestock cover for theft or fatal injury: up to £10,000.
What's not covered:
- Any excess, which is the amount you’ll need to pay towards a claim. Your policy documents will outline where these apply.
- Damage or loss caused by lack of general maintenance, wear and tear, and loss of value over time.
- Any costs of replacing, repairing or restoring your smallholder outbuildings, smallholder contents, produce and deadstock, above the amount you’ve insured them for.
- Gates, fences and boundary walls, and all types of polytunnels.
- Theft or attempted theft of smallholder contents by your employee.
- Loss of produce and deadstock caused by you, your family or any tenant, lodger, paying guest or employee.
- Damage to your trees, plants, shrubs and lawns by your livestock.
The features and exclusions listed are not exhaustive. Your cover will depend on your circumstances. You can find further information in the important documents section.