Pets aren’t just animals, they’re an important part of the family. So if something should happen to your cat or dog, the last thing you’d want to be worrying about is vet’s bills.
If you're one of our existing home contents insurance policyholders, our Dog and Cat Insurance allows you to include cover for vet’s fees after an accident, illness or disease, as well as protect you against their loss. Leaving you to concentrate on taking care of them.
Things you should know
Cover availability and the premium you will pay for your pet can vary depending on the age of the animal at policy commencement and renewal.
After your dog or cat's 10th birthday, cover may be reduced depending on the health of your animal. This means they'll only be protected after an accident, not against illness or disease.
All cover will stop after their 15th birthday unless you have taken out Permanent Health Extension, which provides full cover throughout the time your dog or cat is insured with us.
To be eligible for the Permanent Health Extension your animal must fulfil a number of acceptance criteria, one of which is being less than seven years old at policy inception. The Permanent Health Extension is not available for working dogs.
You choose what's covered:
- Vet’s fees up to £2,000 for each incident following an accident, illness or disease, including alternative treatments, transport, boarding and resting place costs.
- Loss of animal due to death by accident, illness, disease, theft or straying - non-working dogs: up to the price paid. Working dogs: up to the amount you have chosen or market value, whichever is less.
- Legal liability cover as a dog owner for injuries to others or damage to their property: limits start from £2.5 million.
- Option to increase vet's fees to £3,000 or £4,000.
- Loss of use for working dogs: if they become permanently unable to carry out their working duties, based on the insured amount you have chosen, or market value, whichever is less.
- Permanent Health Extension: providing full cover throughout the time your dog or cat is insured with us.
What isn't covered:
- Any excess, which is the amount you’ll need to pay towards a claim. Your policy documents will outline where these apply.
- Any existing health conditions which you are aware of that have been diagnosed, awaiting diagnosis or treated before your cover starts.
- Any existing health conditions which you are aware of that have been diagnosed, awaiting diagnosis or treated before your policy is due for renewal, unless the Permanent Health Endorsement is in force.
- Any new illness, disease, or condition which first appears during the first 14 days of this cover, unless you can prove you have held previous continuous equivalent insurance up to the start of this cover.
- Dogs listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.
- Legal liability relating to any business or profession.
The features and exclusions listed are not exhaustive. Your cover will depend on your circumstances. You can find further information in the Important Documents section.