Having your home flooded can be traumatic in so many ways. From structural damage to the loss of personal possessions, it’s not something you should deal with alone.

So, we’re on-hand with expert knowledge to help get you safe and put things right. Our local agents know your area and can minimise the impact flooding has on you and your family, and will act first and deal with the paperwork later. We can even issue emergency payments of up to £500 immediately.

And thanks to Flood Re, the scheme set up by insurers and the government, you can be sure that your home is covered, even in flood-risk areas.

Visit the Flood Re website or download the Flood Re leaflet for more information on how it works and for further guidance on flood prevention.

Flood Re FAQs

What is Flood Re?

Flood Re is a not-for-profit scheme set up by insurers and government which ensures that people living in areas with a high flood risk have access to affordable property insurance.

What does this mean for me, as an existing NFU Mutual home insurance policyholder?

The majority of homes we insure will not be impacted by the introduction of Flood Re. If we transfer the flood risk of your home to Flood Re, you will see no difference in how your cover operates. You will continue to manage your insurance in the same way you always have done and we will continue to deal with any flood claims you make. There will be no additional paperwork for you to complete and you will not need to deal with Flood Re directly.

Will the cost of my insurance go down?

The cost of your insurance is based on a number of factors individual to you and your property. So transferring your property into the Flood Re scheme may not reduce the cost of your insurance. However, it will mean that we can continue to provide you with affordable and comprehensive cover for flood damage now and in the future.

Properties covered by Flood Re will only have a £250 compulsory flood excess, plus any voluntary excess you have chosen, applied to future flood claims. This will be shown on your schedule when your policy renews.

As a mutual, treating our customers properly is central to everything we do, and all our home insurance customers who are eligible for Flood Re but haven't reached their renewal date will automatically have their flood excess reduced to £250 should they have to make a flood claim before their renewal date.

I own a property in a high flood risk area – will it be included in the new scheme?

Flood Re will accept most residential properties provided they meet certain criteria. You can find details of the scheme eligibility rules at floodre.co.uk/eligibility and the NFU Mutual office that arranges your insurance will be able to tell you if your property is covered by Flood Re.

How do I find out if my home is at risk of flooding?

The general public has access to flood risk information from the Environment Agency through the internet. Information about how to make a flood risk assessment can be found in NFU Mutual's News & Stories.

Do all insurers use the same data when interpreting which areas are likely to flood?

No, insurers do not all use the same data sources. The information each insurer uses is commercially sensitive and you may find that insurers will differ in their approach.

How does Flood Re work?

All insurers pay an annual fee to Flood Re. If we consider your property to be a high flood risk, we will place your property into the Flood Re scheme, and transfer the flood risk to them. Flood Re will charge us a fee, based on the council tax band of your property, for each individual house placed into the scheme. If you then make a claim to us for flood damage, we will settle your claim directly with you, less £250 compulsory excess plus any voluntary excess you have chosen. We will then recover our costs from Flood Re.