Cookie Policy

To ensure you get the best possible experience when browsing the NFU Mutual website, all cookies have been allowed by default. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to this - however, you can change your cookie settings at anytime.

I agree

Home insurance claim

How to make a claim

When it comes to making a claim, NFU Mutual understands the importance of acting now and sorting out the details later. And because we know that dealing with a home insurance claim can be a challenging time, we are committed to providing you with the first class customer service that you have come to expect, no matter what the claim.

During normal office hours

Call your local Agency: lines open 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday. Find your local office.

Call Mutual Direct: if you are an NFU Mutual Direct customer on 0800 197 0963. Lines open 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday.


In the event of an emergency in your home which:

  • puts your health, or that of your household at risk;
  • creates a risk of damage to your buildings or contents; or
  • creates unacceptable living conditions, call our 24hr Domestic Emergency Helpline on 0800 282652.

Our Domestic Emergency Helpline will:

  • offer to arrange for a suitable contractor to carry out any necessary emergency repairs
  • arrange alternative accommodation and transport to it, if you cannot stay in your home.

 Legal expenses insurance

If you have a legal expenses claim or you need advice, please call the DAS helpline on 0117 934 0573. DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Ltd provide this free service for our members. Their claims office is open 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday and the helpline is open 24/7.

Useful claims information

We understand that the claims process can often appear daunting and confusing, with all the technical terminology, complicated procedures and different people involved. Here at NFU Mutual we aim to make the claims process as simple and stress free as possible. Below we have listed some key frequently asked questions to help you if you need more information on making a claim. You can also download our handy Who’s who guide. This will explain the different people you may come across during your claim and how they will help you get back to normal.

Your policy document will explain precisely what is and is not covered.

Please read your policy in detail before making a claim.

Claims FAQs

Will my insurance premium increase at my next renewal if I claim on my house insurance?

Renewal premiums can change from one year to the next for a number of reasons.

Most insurers will offer a ‘no claims discount’ (NCD) on home insurance. So in the event of you having to make a claim, this is likely to result in an increase in premium. The no claims discount offered by NFU Mutual means that should you need to claim on your policy, it will only affect the individual section of the policy for which you are claiming for. For example, a claim under ‘contents’ on your home insurance policy will only affect future ‘contents’ premiums and not ‘buildings’. Insurers do also look at the number or ‘frequency’ of claims and a high frequency of claims is likely to result in more significant premium increases.

Is there anything I can do now to make a claim for my contents easier if something happens in the future?

There are a number of steps you can take to prepare should the worst happen. We can’t stop things happening but we can help you get back to normal afterwards.

To do this we will need to know what you owned so we can provide a replacement or give you a fair settlement. Some of the ways that you can do this are:

  • Take photos of the rooms in your home and their contents
  • Keep a list of the contents of your home – makes, models, purchase dates, cost and store pictures of you using or wearing the item
  • Keep receipts or keep digital copies (usually for high value items)
  • Store packaging and documentation away from the item (usually for high value items).

It is also important to consider how and where you store these pieces of information too to ensure they are kept safe. Digital photos and documents can be stored on an online storage space or saved to a memory stick that is kept outside your home (e.g. with friends or family, in your car, or at your place of work). Physical documents can be stored in fireproof and/or waterproof containers. If your home is prone to flooding you may want to carefully consider where you store your irreplaceable items and you may want to make a Flood Plan.

What do I need to make a claim for an item I’ve damaged?

If you are a Mutual Direct customer please call 0800 197 0963. Or, if you have purchased your home insurance through an NFU Mutual Agent, please contact your local Agent in the first instance.

If you wish, you can take the damaged item(s) into your local Agent to be assessed. For your claim you will need to provide details of the item, how it became damaged, the extent of the damage, the damaged item(s) purchase cost and/or value and then your Agent will help you to make your claim.

How will my damaged item claim be settled?

Your item will be inspected to assess the nature and extent of the damage and we will provide a recommendation as to whether it can be repaired or replaced.

If we can’t repair or replace it, we can settle your claim in cash by Direct Credit into your account* (subject to you paying your policy by Direct Debit and the bank account used and the insurance policy being in the same name). This is at NFU Mutual's discretion of how we will settle your claim - see policy wording.

What I should do before, during and after a flood?

It can be scary when water is coming into your home and then there may be an extensive clean up afterwards, but we aim to be with you every step of the way and help you get back to normal as quickly as possible.

If you are experiencing a flood in your home, please contact our emergency claims helpline now on 0800 282652.

There are steps you can take before, during and after a flood to help manage the situation and keep you and your family safe. Read our handy hints.

What do I do if there is a leak or my pipes have burst?

Pipes or water tanks in a home can burst or leak for a number of reasons. This can be a small amount of water over time or substantial amounts of water released in one go.

If you find you have water damage to your home contact us immediately and we can help to prevent any further damage and start to get repairs underway. Upon finding water damage to your home:

  • switch off the mains water supply to your home
  • do not touch any electrical items that have got wet, or may be wet. Isolate any areas affected by turning of the electrical supply to that area
  • contact your local Agent or Mutual Direct on 0800 197 0963 in office hours and our helpline out of hours on 0800 282652.

How do I make a claim following a fire?

We understand that fire can be devastating. If you are a Mutual Direct customer please call 0800 197 0963. Or, if you have purchased your home insurance through an NFU Mutual Agent, please contact your local Agent in the first instance.

When you are ready, start thinking about the items that you may have lost or have been damaged as a result and then contact us.

You will be asked for details of what items have been damaged or destroyed including their make, model and/or age, value and any evidence you have that you owned the items, like pictures or proof of purchase.

I’ve had a theft from my house, what do I do now?

Firstly report the theft to the police, get a crime reference number and then report a claim to NFU Mutual.

If you are a Mutual Direct customer please call 0800 197 0963. Or, if you have purchased your home insurance through an NFU Mutual Agent, please contact your local Agent in the first instance. If you need to speak to someone urgently outside of office hours, please call our 24hr emergency customer helpline on 0800 282 652.

We, or the police, will help you organise securing your home. This may be replacing damaged locks, doors or glass or temporarily boarding up the area. For your claim you will be asked for details of what you have lost, including their make, model and/or age, value and any evidence you have that you owned the items, like pictures or proof of purchase.

What do I do if I can’t stay in my home?

If something happens to your home that means you can’t live in it for a period of time whilst it is being repaired, your policy will usually cover the cost of this subject to cover for the loss.

One of our team will be able to help you find somewhere to go immediately and more long term if you need it and also provide you with a £500 emergency payment up front to help with immediate expenses such as meals, toiletries, clothing etc.

When do I call the police and who else might I need to call?

You must call the police as soon as possible for any incident that involves theft, malicious damage, or personal injury.

If you damage someone else's property and that person cannot be contacted, you should call the police. Remember to obtain an incident reference number from the police. If you have lost a valuable item in a location such as a store or hotel, please report the loss to the store or hotel. Report any lost credit cards to the issuing company. You can report claims over the phone to NFU Mutual. Contact your local Agent or Mutual Direct on 0800 197 0963 in office hours and our helpline out of hours on 0800 282652.

What happens once I've submitted my claim?

We will agree and arrange for any necessary emergency repairs to be completed without delay.

We will acknowledge your claim in writing and confirm contact details so you can keep in touch. We will look to keep you updated on the progress of your claim so you know exactly what stage your claim is at.

We aim to settle all claims as quickly and as fairly as possible. However, we recognise there are occasions where a claim may take longer to complete for example, where we need additional information from you, a claim is uncommon, or where a third party is involved. Rest assured we will work hard to ensure the delay is kept to a minimum and your life is returned to normal as quickly as possible.

How long can I expect to hear from NFU Mutual once I have submitted my claim?

We pride ourselves on delivering the excellent service you deserve from the NFU Mutual. NFU Mutual aims to respond to queries and payment requests within the following timescales:

Returning your phone calls

By the end of the next working day

Acting on or responding to correspondence

Within 5 working days from the date received

Issuing a claim payment to you

Within 5 working days of payment being agreed with you.

If you do not receive a response within these timescales please contact your local Agent, Regional Claims Centre or the Loss Adjuster who we have instructed to act on our behalf.

How do I find out if my claim is covered on my home insurance policy?

Your policy wording will outline in detail the types of claims covered on your insurance and your Policy Schedule will outline the insurance package that you have purchased.

If you are not sure as to whether or not you are covered for a particular claim, please give us a call and we will be happy to help.