Cookie Policy

To ensure you get the best possible experience when browsing the NFU Mutual website, all cookies have been allowed by default. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to this - however, you can change your cookie settings at anytime.

I agree

Pension changes

0

Call us free
08082528113
8:30am-6pm (Mon-Fri)

Pensions Freedom, what does it mean for you?

You may have heard about the pension reforms that came into effect on the 6th April 2015. The reforms introduced changes that offer more choice and flexibility on what you do with your pension savings if you are aged 55 or over.

There has always been the option to take 25% of your pension pot tax free, but with the new pension changes you can now take your whole pension pot in one go.

You have many options available to you:

  • Leave your pension invested if you don’t need to take money straight away
  • Take the tax-free cash and leave the rest invested
  • Take some or all of the money as a cash lump sum
  • Buy an annuity to provide a lifetime’s secure income
  • Mix and match

Taking your whole pension fund as a cash lump sum is the biggest change to come out of the 2015 pensions changes, so what does it all mean?

The pension changes mean you can access your pension fund as and when you like, from the age of 55, (rising to age 57 in 2028).  One option is to take the whole pension pot in one; however it’s important to remember the first 25% of your pension pot is tax-free and you will pay Income Tax on the remaining 75%.

Income Tax Charge

Taking your entire pension as cash could involve a high tax charge.  There is a personal allowance (£11,000 for 2016/2017), on which no Income Tax is paid.  Above this amount, tax is paid on your total income.  Currently, the tax bands are 20%, 40% and 45% depending on your income.  So, any cash you take out of your pension (except for your tax-free lump sum) is added to your income for the year, and may well push you into a higher rate tax band.

There are added risks you need to consider, such as:

  • Paying too much tax on pension withdrawals
  • Buying unsuitable investments
  • Using all of your funds too fast

It’s important to take expert pensions advice, so that you make an informed decision. Whatever you choose to do, it’s important to understand the tax implications and consider all your pension options to  avoid any unnecessary tax bills. Your NFU Mutual Financial Adviser* can help you review the retirement options available to you and make recommendations to suit your personal situation.

You should be aware that the value of your investment and any income from it may go down as well as up and you may get back less than invested.

The tax treatment of pensions depends on individual circumstance and may be subject to change.

Talk to the experts

Our Financial Advisers* can offer expert, personalised advice to help make saving for your retirement as easy and practical as possible.


LET'S TALK

*Please note:

When you contact us we'll explain the advice services we offer and our charges. NFU Mutual Financial Adivsers advise on NFU Mutual products and selected products from specialist providers.

For security and training purposes, calls may be recorded and monitored.