Airplane wing over ocean destination

Travel Insurance claims

When on holiday the last thing you want to be worrying about is what to do if you need to make a claim. That's why we aim to make the claims process as simple and easy as possible with the added support of Mutuaide, our 24/7 emergency claims helpline. 

This page is for claims relating to:

  • Personal travel
  • Business travel
  • Legal expenses

Before you make a claim

If you need to make a new claim, please ensure you have the following:

  • Policy number
  • Your name and address
  • Details of the incident that has led to the claim including date, circumstances and, if possible, an estimate of the cost, or the extent of damage or injury
  • Your contact number

If you purchased your policy through a local Agent you should contact your local Agency office

If you purchased your policy over the phone through Mutual Direct you can notify us of a new claim or provide updates to an existing claim by calling 08001970963.

Emergency Numbers

In the event of an emergency while on holiday contact our English speaking operators at any time of day or night. They are called Mutuaide and are based in Paris.

  • From a mobile and from anywhere else worldwide +33 1 45 16 64 65. (You can ask one of our operators to call you back.)
  • From France 0800 22 92 92 (free call)
  • From the UK 00 33 1 45 16 64 65 (free call)

When you call Mutuaide the person you speak to will need to know the details of the emergency, and your (or the Insured person’s):

  • Name and home address
  • Address and phone number abroad
  • Policy number

You must call the police as soon as possible for any incident that involves loss of personal possessions, theft, malicious damage, or personal injury. Remember to obtain an incident reference or crime number.

If you damage someone else's property and that person cannot be contacted (please refer to local guidelines of the country which you are visiting for further details on your obligations).

Report any lost credit cards to the issuing company.

You can report claims over the phone to NFU Mutual, for details select the appropriate product button. For emergency assistance helplines select the appropriate product button.

Exchange name (or company name if appropriate) and contact details.

Obtain the vehicle registration number if one is involved.

It may also be useful to obtain details of any witnesses.

This list is not exhaustive and we may require further documentation to support your claim.

Delayed Departure

Written confirmation from the public transport provider (e.g. airline, ferry or railway company) that there was a delay, and the reason for it.

Receipts for additional accommodation/travelling expenses you had to pay as a result of the delay or enforced stay.


Receipts for essential purchases made as a result of your baggage being lost or stolen.

A report from the public transport provider. You must get one of these as soon as you realise your baggage has been lost or stolen.

Proof of purchase for the lost, stolen or damaged items.

Written confirmation of the loss or damage of items from the police or other relevant, independent authority.


Receipt(s) for foreign currency purchased for your trip.

Evidence of sterling or foreign currency withdrawn while you were abroad.

Evidence of how you replaced the lost funds.

A copy of the report the local police made when you told them about the loss.

Personal Liability

Confirmation from the police or other relevant, independent authority that you told them about the event.

Details of any third parties involved.

Any witness statements.

Winter Sports

A copy of any police report.

If the piste was closed because of the weather, a letter from the resort manager or tour operator confirming the dates.

Please refer to your schedule to see if this is operative

If you have a legal expenses claim or need legal representation or advice, please call the DAS helpline on 01179340573.

DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Ltd provide this free service for our members. Their claims office is open 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday and the helpline is open 24/7. For any queries relating to what is covered under this section of the policy, please contact DAS for further information.