NFU Mutual and Brexit

What will Brexit mean for NFU Mutual policies?

The vast majority of our customers’ policies will not be affected by Brexit. Typically NFU Mutual customers insure their homes, farms, cars and much more in the United Kingdom, and customers with insurance policies for these UK risks won’t see any change to their cover.

A small number of NFU Mutual customers insure risks in the Republic of Ireland. There are some potential outcomes of the Brexit negotiations that might affect these policies and we have communicated directly with customers who have any of these policies.

We will continue to monitor the political and regulatory landscapes closely and we will communicate to our customers as soon as we have further relevant information.

The Government’s website provides information to help businesses and organisations prepare for Brexit:

Green Cards and driving your car abroad

All NFU Mutual motor insurance policies automatically provide the minimum cover required by law in every EU country (plus Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland) for no extra charge. This will remain the same in the event of either a ‘deal’ or ‘no deal’ Brexit.

However if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit you will also need a Green Card, which is a document that acts as an International Motor Insurance Certificate, to prove that you have this minimum cover.

This means that if you plan to drive your vehicle abroad after leaving, we will need to issue you with a Green Card, which you must take with you on your journey. You can get this by contacting your local NFU Mutual Agent or Mutual Direct.

Most of our policies also provide cover to the same level as you have in the UK (e.g. if you have comprehensive cover in the UK, you will have that abroad). Please contact your local NFU Mutual Agent or Mutual Direct for details of the extent of cover applying to your policy, and for a quote to extend cover if necessary.

Driving in the Republic of Ireland

All of our motor policies provide cover in the Republic of Ireland to the same level as you have in the UK for no extra charge. This will still be the case after Brexit – but if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit’ you must get a Green Card to drive in the Republic of Ireland.

When and how to apply for a Green Card

If you are an existing NFU Mutual motor insurance customer and plan to drive abroad after leaving the EU, you should contact your local NFU Mutual Agent or Mutual Direct approximately two weeks before you travel to obtain your Green Card. We can issue this to remain valid until your next annual policy renewal date, so that you do not need to request a further Green Card if you make a repeat trip.

Please note that if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit, you MUST have a Green Card physically with you. International law does not allow us to issue you with an electronic version.

The situation regarding Green Cards may change if the UK forms an agreement with the EU. In this instance, we will update this web page with up-to-date advice.

Continental Breakdown Cover

The continental breakdown cover which we offer to our customers will also operate as normal. Please contact your local NFU Mutual Agent or Mutual Direct for more information.

Travel insurance and the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

In the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may no longer apply.  This makes it even more important that you have appropriate travel insurance in place to cover medical costs while you are travelling in an EU country, in the same way as you would when travelling to a non-EU country. For information on the cover NFU Mutual travel insurance provides, please speak to your local Agent or call Mutual Direct on 0800 316 4661.

NFU Mutual Life Policyholders who are currently living in the EU outside of the UK

If you are an NFU Mutual Life Policyholder who has moved outside of the UK to another EU country then NFU Mutual will continue to honour your policy regardless of the outcome or timings of the Brexit process.