How to let us know that our General Insurance policyholder has passed away
We won't charge you any administration fees if you need to make any changes, cancel a policy or make a claim.
How to get in touch
To talk to us, please contact where the policy was purchased from.
This will be our UK-based call centre NFU Mutual Direct or an NFU Mutual agency office.
Where the policy was purchased from can be found on the front page of the policy schedule.
If you don't know where the policy was purchased from or do not have the policy schedule to hand you should contact NFU Mutual Direct in one of the following ways:
What we need to know
When you get in touch we will need:
- Some details about you
- A few details about the person who has passed away, including their date of birth, date of death and address
- Some information about the insurances held if you have them.
What we'll do
When you let us know that a policyholder has passed away, we will:
- Stop all promotional mailings (this can take three to four weeks to stop completely)
- Discuss existing insurance policies and take instructions to reflect a change in circumstances
- Record the Executor details and update contact information where relevant.
Important information: motor vehicles
If a motor vehicle is still being driven, needs to be moved, or has not been registered as off the road, there must be appropriate insurance in place as required by law.
Please contact us to discuss your insurance needs and we will make sure these requirements are met by making the necessary amendments to the policy.
Advice for empty properties
Please let us know as quickly as possible if a property is unoccupied. The policy can usually continue, but there may be some restrictions in cover and conditions.
- Remove anything of high value but check if you need to add the items to your own insurance policy
- Keep the heating on low to prevent damage by burst pipes in cold weather
- Arrange regular visits to check inside and out – ideally once a week. We will confirm how often we require you to inspect your property, but in preparation for this, start keeping a note of when you visit.
Cruse is the UK's leading bereavement charity. They offer free emotional support over the telephone for anyone affected by bereavement and can also support those who have been bereaved following the loss of a pet.
Telephone: 0808 808 1677