Quad bikes, and All Terrain Vehicles, have become an essential piece of equipment for many farmers. We can ensure your business faces minimal disruption should anything happen while using your vehicle.
We know how much you value your equipment and at NFU Mutual we consider your personal circumstances and understand every farm is different.
As a farm insurance customer we can protect your quad bikes along with other farm vehicles and equipment under our Agricultural Vehicle Insurance. For a quote or further information, give us a call or contact your local agency office.
The right Quad Bike Insurance
It’s important to ensure the insurance you purchase for your quad bike meets your needs. For example, if it’s likely you would use your quad bike for business purposes on the farm, you need to ensure it’s covered under the correct policy, don’t just assume it can be covered under your existing policy.
What you really need is an insurance product that covers quad bikes and we would advise you to talk to us to find the right one that can also insure other crucial aspects of your business. We’re also asked if we provide temporary quad insurance. The answer is yes, so if you have short term needs your local Agency office will be more than happy to discuss your options.
Compare Quad Bike Insurance
When comparing quotations for Quad Bike Insurance online, it’s important to make sure you have the right cover options in place that protect you, your business and your staff that rely on the vehicle.
Comparison sites don’t always show you the key information you need or include all the options available. We’re clear about what our standard cover includes:
- £5 million Public Liability cover for third party property damage
- Goods in transit cover up to £1,000
- A claims service managed by farming specialists who can support you quickly in the event of a vehicle being damaged during a busy period
- Expert service from our Local Agents and engineers who work closely with manufacturers and security firms.
We’ll explain any limits or exclusions that apply to help ensure it’s right for you.
Road legal Quad Bike Insurance
If you’re using a quad bike for agricultural use you need to register it as a light agricultural vehicle with the DVLA. You’re allowed to use an agricultural quad on the public road for short distances if it’s registered for road use, has a number plate and complies with the relevant lighting and construction requirements. The lights will be required if you are using your quad bike on the road after dark and include:
- rear markings and other devices.
In addition, if your agricultural quad is capable of speeds exceeding 20mph then you’re required to fit a speedometer and a horn. It’s also important to note that you are not allowed to carry any passengers on an agricultural quad bike.
Check with the manufacturer if your quad bike has been approved for road use. If your quad bike has not been approved but meets road safety standards, you can apply for ‘type approval’.
Keep your quad bike safe
Quad bikes are an item high on many thieves’ wish lists and are frequently the targets of rural crime. When your machine is not in use you should make sure it is securely stored.
- Always remove keys and keep them stored securely, away from the vehicle when not in use
- Keep quads and all-terrain-vehicles locked up out of sight whenever possible
- Install tracking devices and immobilisers
- Use CESAR marking to deter thieves and enable police to identify stolen machinery
- Target-harden your quad by locking it away and/or using a mechanical device such as a steering ram lock, ground anchor or wheel clamp when not in use - these devices are both visible and physical deterrents to thieves
- Know what you own – keep records of serial numbers and photographs of your kit including unique identifying features
- When buying a new quad ask about chipped key and immobilisation systems
We offer discounts off your agricultural vehicle insurance policy when fitting approved Thatcham security devices and CESAR marking.