farm house with farm gate and sheep

Farm Essentials

Essential cover for your small farm

We know how demanding running a small farm can be. That's why we created our Farm Essentials policy so now you'll be protected by insurance that works just as hard as you do.

If your farm is less than 50 hectares, generates up to £50,000 in farming income annually and meets additional acceptance criteria, this policy can provide the essential property and liability covers to meet your needs. 

Why choose us?

  • Flexibility to cover livestock, hill farms, farm income and some simple diversifications such as B&Bs, farm shops, camping and caravan sites, and leasing of land or grazing rights
  • We reward our loyal customers through a Mutual Bonus which provides a saving on the renewal premium of your General Insurance policy, that includes our farming products
  • We’re big on local presence with a network of over 295 agency offices nationwide, we can get to know you, your family and your farm. 

Small Farm Industry Expert Guide

An update from one of our farm insurance specialists, with insights on the small farm industry

Download a copy of the industry expert guide [PDF: 1.4MB]

Speak to your local agency office for more information to help ensure this policy is right for you. 

Our standard cover provides

  • £10m Public and Product Liability cover to protect your business if it’s held responsible for accidental injury to clients, customers, or the public
  • £10m Employers' Liability cover to protect your business and its employees, as well as your family and friends if they’re injured or become ill due to their work on the farm
  • Day-one reinstatement buildings cover up to £300,000 and contents cover up to £50,000 – including a 15% increase on your property sums insured to combat inflation
  • Cover for farming stock up to £20,000
  • £250,000 Legal Expenses cover to safeguard your business and employees during legal disputes, providing your claim has a reasonable prospect of success, including access to our legal advice helpline and online legal employment manual
  • £2m Environmental Liability cover to protect your business if your farming activities or waste results in injury, environmental or biodiversity damage.

Optional cover

  • Cover for loss of business income up to £50,000 due to an unexpected event (provided you have property insurance in place covering the same event), including an automatic 33% increase in your sum insured to support you in your time of need
  • New cover for smaller livestock herds or flocks whilst on the land or in transit, valued up to £100,000 (excluding diseases)

Frequently asked questions

Farm insurance is specifically designed for agricultural businesses who want to protect their farm house, buildings, machinery, livestock and grounds from events that will significantly interrupt the running of a business.

Whether you’re a farm owner, tenant or contractor, your agricultural business or holding can face a wide range of risks, such as damage to essential property or livestock by fire, storm or flood. Having a farm insurance policy in place can offer cover against these risks which may interrupt or pause the running of your farm and make it difficult to maintain income and manage outgoings.

Yes, farm property is one of the covers available with a Farm Essentials policy. Every farm house is unique and some may require specialist cover, your local NFU Mutual agent will be more than happy to discuss tailored cover.

Our policies are flexible and can be tailored to meet your needs. Your local NFU Mutual agent is on hand to work closely with you to help identify and manage various risks. These risks can include, but are not limited to: fire (including fire caused by spontaneous fermentation or self-heating); lightning and explosion; aircraft and earthquake; escape of water (from tanks, apparatus or pipes); storm and flood; impact (by vehicles or animals); theft or attempted theft; riot or malicious damage; straying; accidental damage and many, many more.

Cover for damage to agricultural vehicles needs specialist cover provided  by our Agricultural Vehicle Insurance and is not included in our Farm Essentials policy.

We understand that your agricultural vehicles are what keeps you on the move. You can insure quad bikes up the value of £5k under Farm Essentials, however for more, specialist cover you can talk to your agent about our Agricultural Vehicle Insurance page or get in touch with your local
NFU Mutual agency office.

You have a responsibility to ensure your farm equipment and machinery is inspected and safe to use. We can offer inspections of plant by our engineering partner Vulcan Inspection Services to help you manage business risk and comply with regulatory and health and safety obligations. We can also provide insurance for accidental damage to, and breakdown of, plant and machinery.

Whenever there is lifting equipment on a farm which lifts loads over, or in close proximity to people then it should be thoroughly examined at regular intervals (usually 6 monthly for lifting people or for accessories and 12 monthly for everything else).

For more information on a quote with NFU Mutual about your small farm or smallholding, please
fill in this form for one of our local agents to arrange a conversation or face to face meeting. 

We have offices up and down the country, so you're never far from one of our local agents. Visit
our agency finder to locate your local NFU Mutual office.